Current:Home > StocksGeorgia election case defendant wants charges dropped due to alleged paperwork error -Capitatum
Georgia election case defendant wants charges dropped due to alleged paperwork error
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 02:02:33
Three weeks before the scheduled start of his trial in Fulton County, a defendant in the Georgia election interference case is seeking to have the indictment against him dismissed based on an alleged paperwork error made by one of the lead special prosecutors in the case.
Kenneth Chesebro, an attorney who drafted legal memos suggesting the use of so-called "alternate electors" to prevent Joe Biden from receiving 270 electoral votes in the 2020 election, is set to go on trial on Oct. 23. But in a filing Wednesday, his attorney alleged that Fulton County special prosecutor Nathan Wade, who was brought in by the district attorney to help investigate the case, didn't file the oath of office required to join the DA's team.
The motion alleges that Wade filled out the oath of office paperwork, but did not file it as required by law until just last week -- an error that Chesebro says makes Wade's work "void as a matter of law."
MORE: Kenneth Chesebro files to have charges dismissed in Georgia election interference case
"Nathan Wade, who has and continues to serve as lead counsel in this case -- including during the presentment of the case to the criminal grand jury and at the time the underlying indictment was returned -- was not an authorized public officer by Georgia law," the filing states.
The filing, from Chesebro attorney Scott Grubman, alleges that Wade did not file either of the required oaths "until September 27, 2023, which was soon after [Grubman] sent Mr. Wade an email inquiring about this apparent lapse (and asking for proof of filing)."
In the filing, Chesebro's attorney urged the judge not to let the alleged paperwork error be "chalked up to mere 'technical noncompliance'"-- warning that it is an error that may rise to a criminal violation.
Former Georgia prosecutor Chris Timmons, however, said that the practice of using special assistant district attorneys is "routine" in the state, and that "at worst" the error would be "embarrassing" for the state -- but not a blow to the entire indictment.
"If he was not sworn in, at worst it's embarrassing for the Fulton County DA's office but it would not affect the case," Timmons told ABC News. "The Georgia Supreme Court has held unanimously that the presence at the grand jury of individuals who are not sworn assistant district attorneys will not vitiate an otherwise valid indictment."
Grubman, however, says in the filing that the Georgia state legislature has made it a misdemeanor crime to "take an actions as a public officer without first taking and filing the appropriate oaths."
"Because Mr. Wade did not file his oaths as expressly required by law, any actions that he took prior to filing the oath on September 27, 2023, are void as a matter of law," the filing states. "This includes presenting this case to the criminal grand jury and obtaining an indictment in return."
"Accordingly, the indictment in this case must be dismissed," the filing says.
Chesebro and 18 others, including former President Donald Trump, pleaded not guilty in August to all charges in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. Defendant Scott Hall subsequently took a plea deal in which he pleaded guilty to tampering with voting machine equipment.
Chesebro's lawyers acknowledge that their client drafted the legal memos at the center of his alleged conduct, but say his actions were justified since Chesebro was "fulfilling his duty to his client as an attorney."
MORE: Trump co-defendant takes plea deal, agrees to testify in Georgia election case
The Fulton County district attorney's office declined to comment to ABC News.
Chesebro's filing comes before another on-camera hearing in the case is scheduled for this week, during which the judge is set to hear a separate motion to dismiss filed by Chesebro's co-defendant, Sidney Powell.
veryGood! (32)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Craving more aliens after congressional hearing? Here are 3 UFO docuseries on streaming
- US Navy sailor’s mom encouraged him to pass military details to China, prosecutor says
- The Art of Wealth Architect: Inside John Anderson's Fundamental Analysis Approach
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- July was the globe's hottest month on record, and the 11th warmest July on record in US
- Ukraine says woman held in plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as airstrikes kill 3
- Texas woman exonerated 20 years after choking death of baby she was caring for
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Steph Curry rocks out onstage with Paramore in 'full circle moment'
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Murder charge against Texas babysitter convicted of toddler's choking death dismissed 20 years later
- US judge to hear legal battle over Nevada mustang roundup where 31 wild horses have died
- 3 men charged with assault in Montgomery, Alabama, boating brawl that went viral
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- NYPD Blue Child Star Austin Majors' Cause of Death Revealed
- Ukraine says woman held in plot to assassinate President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as airstrikes kill 3
- University of Michigan threatens jobs of striking graduate instructors
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Trump vows to keep talking about criminal cases despite prosecutors pushing for protective order
Georgia Gov. Kemp tells business group that he wants to limit lawsuits, big legal judgments
Tory Lanez sentenced to 10 years for shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the feet in 2020
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Texas man on trip to spread dad's ashes dies of heat stroke in Utah's Arches National Park
Review: Meryl Streep keeps ‘Only Murders in the Building’ alive for Season 3
A proposed constitutional change before Ohio voters could determine abortion rights in the state